The importance of encouragement from higher education institutions for students to learn about BCG in general education subjects
To clarify the arrangement of general education subjects in the bachelor’s degree program which is intended to make “students capable of integrating their knowledge in connection with their lives and the everchanging ways of the world today and in the future. Instilling the spirit of lifelong learning for the students is a nurturing preparation for their continuous self-improvement and happiness in the global society of the 21st century.”
BCG ECONOMY is therefore important in general education subjects.ป
(1) To be a capable human ready for the world today and in the future, BCG is essential knowledge for survival across all generations.
(2) BCG has several activities to enhance the skills necessary for the 21st century.
(3) BCG creates awareness for integration of various sciences in improving or solving problems in both economic, social, and environmental dimensions.
(4) BCG creates opportunities and values for humans to access and use resources.
(5) BCG has a body of knowledge on many issues that correspond to the changes within Thai society and the world.
(6) BCG builds characteristics of a strong and righteous citizen, especially regarding the environment.
(7) BCG emphasizes cooperation and collaboration to create and develop a sustainable society according to the goals of sustainable development.
For Kasetsart University, teaching and learning general education subjects are defined in 5 subject areas: 1) Wellness, 2) Entrepreneurship, 3) Language and Communication, 4) Thai Citizens and Global Citizens, and 5) Aesthetics, totaling 30 credits. There are compulsory 2 credits which is for Knowledge of the Land, a course in integrated science. Learning outcomes emphasizes ability of learners to apply various sciences to daily life and work, considering the responsibility to Thai society and the global society.
In addition, Kasetsart University also realizes the importance of having many BCG-related courses spread out in various subject groups to plant the seed of awareness on matters related to BCG for students to keep up with the everchanging world. This is the subject of Circular Economy Concept for Sustainability with emphasis on the following learning outcomes: 1) students can find correlation between natural resources, climate change, and changing environment; 2) students are able to design business and plan project under the concept of circular economy; and 3) students are able to express opinions that reflect awareness of resources, environmental and climate change situations, etc.